Newborns 0-3 months
- Your 1 month old can hear you and knows your voice
Babies 3-12 months
- From 6 months of age, they can tell how you are by feeling the tone of your voice and look on your face
Toddlers 1-3 years
- Initially, your child will have a better understanding of what is being said to them compared to what they can actually say.
Commonly, they will respond to their own name and understand 'no' from 12 months of age
- They will start to understand some commonly used single words and short phrases by this age. For example, 'Bye-Bye', 'Night, night', 'bath time', and 'Oops-a-Daisy'.
Preschool 3-5 years
- At 3 years, they will understand short spoken sentences e.g. 'Where's big teddy?'.
- At around 4 years of age, they will understand most simple things you say and will follow instructions with 2-3 steps about familiar things e.g. 'go to your bedroom and get your jumper'